By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected through selection as a 2012 notable educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A better half to girls within the old World offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from fashionable students at the examine of ladies within the old world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to handle the learn of ladies within the historical world
- Explores a large diversity of themes on the subject of ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess idea; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the relatives, the nation, and faith; costume and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and plenty of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions in terms of ladies in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a number of the so much widespread students linked to the research of girls in antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Similar ancient & classical books
Dio Cassius (Cassius Dio), ca. one hundred fifty– 235 CE, used to be born at Nicaea in Bithynia in Asia Minor. at the demise of his father (Roman governor of Cilicia) he went in one hundred eighty to Rome, entered the Senate, and below the emperor Commodus used to be an recommend. He held excessive workplaces, changing into a detailed buddy of numerous emperors.
The similes in Homer are treasure troves. They describe scenes of Greek lifestyles that aren't provided of their least difficult shape wherever else: landscapes and seascapes, storms and calm climate, struggling with between animals, civic disputes, athletic contests, horse races, group leisure, girls focused on their day-by-day initiatives, males operating their farms and orchards.
Sparky chocolates, PhD, and Wisecrack proudly current this outrageously humorous, ultra-sharp consultant to literature in response to the hit on-line sequence, Thug Notes. inside of, you can find hilarious plot breakdowns and masterful analyses of 16 of literature's so much liked classics, together with: issues disintegrate, To Kill a Mockingbird, Hamlet, The Catcher within the Rye, Lord of the Flies, satisfaction and Prejudice, and extra!
- Governmental Intervention in Foreign Trade in Archaic and Classical Greece (Mnemosyne Supplements; History and Archaeology of Classical Antiquity)
- Philo, Volume IV: On the Confusion of Tongues. On the Migration of Abraham. Who Is the Heir of Divine Things? On Mating with the Preliminary Studies
- The World of Berossos
Extra resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
Ioli Kalavrezou earned her PhD at the University of California Berkeley, and is now Dumbarton Oaks Professor of the History of Byzantine Art at Harvard University. She has also taught at the University of California Los Angeles and the University of Munich. Since 1989 she has been on the Board of Senior Fellows of Dumbarton Oaks and the Center for Byzantine Studies in Washington, DC. She has also served on the National Advisory Board on Research and Technology of Greece (2004–2010). Her research covers a range of topics: ivory carving, imperial art, manuscript illumination, the use of symbols and relics in the empire, the cult of the Virgin Mary, and the everyday world of the Byzantines, especially for women.
She is Trustee of many of the Hadrian's Wall museums as well as the Hadrian's Art Trust. Rhiannon Ash is Fellow and Tutor in Classical Literature at Merton College, Oxford University. She has broad interests in Latin Literature of the Roman Empire, but her particular research is in the sphere of Roman historiography, above all Tacitus. She has published various books and articles on Virgil, Plutarch, Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, and Tacitus, including a commentary on Tacitus' Histories 2 (2007).
Photo: Courtesy of the Syndics of the Fitzwilliam Museum. 1 Os coxa (hip bone) of an adult female, twenty-five to thirty-five years old, showing the auricular surface and pubic symphysis, features used in determining the age of adults. M. H. Wiener Laboratory modern collection, American School of Classical Studies at Athens. Photo: author. 2 Maxilla of an adult female, forty-five to fifty-five years old. Arrows indicate linear enamel hypoplasias (LEH). Athenian agora, early Iron Age. Photo: author.
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World by Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,